Wednesday, January 20, 2016

How to Choose The Right Foundation

Hiya Gals!


When choosing a foundation, there is so much more to consider than just selecting the correct shade. Of course shade is important as you don't want to sport a mismatched look, but there are so many other factors that need to be considered. 

How to choose the right foundation: skin tone, undertone and shade



So today, to assist you in the process of selecting the right foundation, I thought to share with you my guideline.

Skin Type: The first important thing to consider before you buy your foundation, is your skin type. Knowing your skin type is key as you want to be sure that the formula you select will benefit your skin. 
  • Dry Skin - Look for foundations that include words like "Hydrating", "Moisturizing", "Luminous" and "Moisture-rich."
  • Oily skin - Key words like "Oil-free", "Shine-control" and "Mattifying" are a clear indication that this formula is for you.
  • Mature Skin - Similar to dry skin descriptions like, "Hydrating", Moisturizing", "Luminous" and "Moisture-rich" also apply to mature skin, in addition to descriptions like "Radiant" "Sheer Glow" and "Anti-Aging"


Formula: When thinking about formula, consider the results that you wish to achieve  eg. long lasting, full coverage, sheer coverage, dewy finish, matte finish etc. and select your formula accordingly. 

My Picks:
  • Sheer Coverage, Dewy Finish: 
    • Nars Sheer Glow - This foundation formula is perfect for dry and mature skin types. It glides on easily and provides medium coverage. It leaves the skin looking healthy and hydrated.
  • Long Lasting, Full Coverage:  
    • Revlon ColourStay - This formula is amazing and has been a staple in my kit for years. This foundation stays put from the time it is applied to the time it is removed. It comes it two formulas; normal/dry and combination/oily.
  • Matte Finish: 
    • Milani Cream to Powder -  This oil-free formula glides on as a cream and transforms into a powder, leaving behind a soft matte finish.  Excellent for combination/oily skin types.
   

Skin Undertone : Skin undertone and shade are two aspects that go hand in hand. Knowing your skin tone is equally as important as selecting the correct shade. For instance if you choose a cool toned foundation and your complexion is of warm tones, even though the shade you have chosen may initially match, after a while your foundation is going to look more pink on your warm complexion and vice versa.

Once you have determined your what your skin undertone is, select shades based on it. Not sure of your skin undertone? Take a peek at my printable guide here

Most manufactures will label their foundations with a "C" or "W" or "N" to indicate whether the formula is cool, warm or neutral. L'oreal is definitely one of those companies that do and it really makes the foundation selection process so much easier.
  • Warm (W) - Select shades with names that have key words like, "Warm", "Golden",  "Sun" or "Honey" eg. "Golden Sand"
  • Cool (C) - Select shades with names that have key words like "Cool",  "Soft" "Rose" eg. "Rose Sand" 
  • Neutral (N)- These are shades that are neither warm nor cool, they fall right in the middle so anyone can wear them, whether their tone is cool, or warm. In most cases in the shade name words like "Warm", "Golden", or "Cool" will NOT be included. eg. So instead of "Cool Sand" or "Golden Sand" it may just be labeled "Sand"
If you are ever in doubt about what your skin undertone is, always select neutral.  

Please note, this image was taken from the internet.


Shade Selection: When selecting your foundation, always remember that the shade that you pick should not be visible on the skin, it should melt into the skin to enhance your complexion. 

Once you have selected your shade, apply a little your jaw line and blend. If you feel that this could be the shade for your, step outside with a hand mirror to see how it looks in natural light. Of course testing a shade out at a drug store is not always possible, so my suggestion would be to hold the bottle up to your neck to see if it is a match.

Thanks for reading 

I hope this information makes the whole foundation selection process a little easier for you.

Keisha xo 






SHARE:

32 comments

  1. That is why I almost always go in to be matched! HaHaHa Another thing a guy told me was to come in every 6 months, because you get darker in the warmer months and lighter in the colder months. But I'm an inside girl, so mine rarely changes. Keisha, this was super awesome! You are so knowledgeable. I didn't know about skin undertones and shade. Learned something new!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thank you Kim!! I'm so happy that you learned something new. I also have to switch up my foundation shade in the winter as I tend to wash out and look pale.
      Thanks for reading!

      xo

      Delete
  2. This was very helpful I never try Milani I need to check if the sell my shade lighter in the winter and one shade darker in the summer I'm more of a yellow tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie, I'm glad this was useful to you:) Yes, def give the Milani a try, it is such a nice foundation.

      xo

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this Keisha! I have always guessed my shade and go for anything that is in the middle but definitely picked up a few pointers from you. Thank you again!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Shireen! Thanks so much for reading

      Xo

      Delete
  4. Amazing tips, thank you for sharing. The struggles of picking out a foundation that suits you is difficult!

    Serene | I Am Serene L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, It can be a tricky task:).

      Xo

      Delete
  5. This is such a great post Keisha! It's so hard to find the right foundation for you skin type and don't get me started on trying to find the right shade! I've always been curious about Nars foundations, do you find that it last the whole day?

    xo, jackie
    stylemydreams.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it can be a difficult and frustrating task. The Nars sheer glow is one of my favs. I find it lasts in me all day. Thanks for reading Jackie.

      Xo

      Delete
  6. Nice Inspirations

    FOLLOW my Blog!!! Maybe we can follow each other!!!
    www.rimanerenellamemoria.de

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's so much that goes into picking the right foundation! Thank you for sharing!

    Via Sora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it certainly is quite a bit to consider but if you take these points into consideration it makes the processs much easier. Thanks for reading!

      Xo

      Delete
  8. These are some great tips, Keisha! I know when I first started looking for foundations I was completely lost!
    xo, Lily
    beautywithlily.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling Lily...I still sometimes get lost lol! Thanks so much for reading.

      xo

      Delete
  9. This is a very helpful post! I always have a hard time picking foundations. I am neutral and alot of times foundations look either too yellow on me or too pink. Also, when I get foundations that match my skin really close I always end up looking so pale so I usually get a little bit darker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also go a little darker with my foundations just so I can look a little more brown, especially during the winter months when I tend to look washed out. I'm so glad that you found these tips helpful Tanya!

      xo

      Delete
  10. This was such a great guide Keisha and will no doubt help those who are yet to discover their ideal foundation! I agree that skin type is super important when it comes to picking one out; I made the mistake of using ones that highlighted dry skin a while back, though thankfully have found the perfect one since :) Have a lovely weekend Keisha!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gabrielle! Enjoy your weekend also :)

      Xo

      Delete
  11. Very informative post, Keisha! I try to get a sample whenever possible so that I can find a good match. This is really helpful when trying to pick a drugstore foundation and no tester is available. Great information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren! Grabbing a sample is such a good idea!

      xo

      Delete
  12. These are really great tips. I never looked to see what type of foundation I needed for my dry skin. I will definitely keep an eye to look for hydrating, moisturizing, luminous and moisture-rich. Have a great weekend!
    xoxo - Fashion Phases

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Glenda! Enjoy your weekend also!

      xo

      Delete
  13. awesome post! thanks for all the helpful tips and information!

    Kierra | Lavishingg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks so much for visiting!

      xo

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing this info. It is hard for me to find my correct shade because of my golden undertones. I know that Mac and Makeup Forever match me perfectly.

    Drea
    naturalledrea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post and picks Keisha! I love the Dior Nude foundation, it took me years to find the correct one but it was worth waiting :) Have a great weekend!
    Stella
    www.stellaasteria.com

    ReplyDelete

© The Chrysalis Gal | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig