Wednesday, October 14, 2015

How to Declutter Your Makeup Collection.

Hello Gals!

As a beauty blogger, makeup artist and professional beauty junkie, it has been very easy for me to happily keep adding more and more makeup products to my collection. I'm sure that most of you can identify with this and before it is even realized our makeup stash is overflowing with an abundance of products, products that are quite often unorganized and all over the place. 




There have been times when my collection has looked utterly chaotic which has made the task of decluttering extremely overwhelming. So today, I thought it might be helpful to share a few tips on how to declutter your makeup collections.

Sort

Start by sorting your makeup into different piles according to type eg. lipsticks, blush, shadow etc. This will give you a clearer picture of what you actually have and more than likely you will stumble across products that you haven't seen in a while.

Toss

Now that your makeup has been sorted into various piles, start with one pile at a time and throw away any expired makeup. This is the hardest step for me as it really breaks my heart to throw out unfinished makeup, but there is no point hanging onto products that cannot be used.

Give it Away 

Any makeup that has not been worn because you have forgotten that you bought it or that once you bought it, you were unsure about it... whatever the reason, give it away to family members or friends. Be sure that whatever you decide to give away has NOT expired.

Organize

The best part about having a makeup collection is to have it beautifully displayed on your vanity, however if you are anything like me, you have an excess of product that all does not fit nicely on your vanity. This is where makeup storage containers and boxes come in handy. My preference is to use decorated boxes and label each one according to whats inside, and then store them in a large dresser.





To stay on top of your collections, repeat these steps every 6 months.

Below are a couple of links to websites that have fab makeup storage optoions.


Thanks for reading!

How often do you declutter you makeup collections and what are some of your favourite ways to store your makeup?


Keisha xo
SHARE:

37 comments

  1. Wow what a huge collection!!! Totally love the design of your beauty boxes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the designs also and they are the perfect size... I can fit three to a drawer. Thanks for reading Glenda!

      Xo

      Delete
  2. what a wonderful post. X

    mind checking my blog? :)
    byangchee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I will def check out your link :)

      Xo

      Delete
  3. Love this post!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Xoxo,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks so much for visiting.

      Xo

      Delete
  4. Great tips to keep your makeup up to date and organize love the different dorted boxes perfect decor touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. I enjoy organizing and the boxes are a great way to add a pretty decorative touch.

      Xo

      Delete
  5. Nice photos and tips ♥♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much...and thanks for visiting!

      Xo

      Delete
  6. I have everything boxed away; base products, eyes and lips and one basket at the corner to hold everything in my current rotation. I wish I have a vanity room but we have 3 rooms in the house, one for the little one, one master bedroom and the other is my husband's office because he works from home. So I'm stuck in just the bathroom. LOL!

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL! I wish I had a seperate room in my house for makeup. I have taken over one of the large chest of drawers in the baby's room to store my make up lol! Thanks for reading Shireen.

      Xo

      Delete
  7. I have more makeup so I need more boxes!
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain with this. I just have wayyy too much to store it nicely lol. I do use ikea drawer separators though which works well. I need to go though my makeup I usually do it about 2-3x a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, you are so organized Tanya. I barely manage once a year lol! I really like the ikea ones as well. Thanks for reading!

      Xo

      Delete
  9. These are really great ideas, Keisha. The boxes are lovely too. Great post! :)

    http://missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you May! I agree, the boxes are really cute.

      Xo

      Delete
  10. Such great tips, Keisha! It's so easy to forget that you have similar products and colors at home and you end up buying more of the same thing, which has definitely happen to me a few times! Then, before you know it, as you mentioned, you end up with a whole of products, some of which we need to get rid of. This post was very helpful, thanks for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful day!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you found this post useful! In my last declutter session, I found 3 of the same shade lipsticks lol! Thanks so much for visiting!

      Xo

      Delete
  11. These are some great tips! I HATE decluttering and getting rid of makeup that isn't finished, but it has to be done, just like you mentioned. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten used to decluttering, but I will never get used having to throwing away unfinished makeup lol!
      Thanks for reading Lily!

      Xo

      Delete
  12. great tips,i always find myself accumulating more and more lipsticks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm putting together a beauty room next year. Currently remodeling my house. So I'm in the sort and toss phase. I've grouped things together and now have to find organizers for them. Great post.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I would love to have a room at home for just makeup. Hopefully the links at the bottom will help you with storage ideas. Thanks for reading Kim!

      Xo

      Delete
  14. I love how you have all of your items organized! I've been feeling overwhelmed with my collection lately, so I've really been wanting to clean out. Thank you for the helpful tips!
    xoxo Lauren | Will Sing For Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Lauren!! It is very overwhelming when you first attempt to clean out, but once its done it is much easier to maintain. Good luck with your decluttering...and thanks so much for reading!

      Xo

      Delete
  15. I am planning to giveaway all my stuff to friends and family because I receive so much as a blogger n i m nt able to use all of it...
    I liked the tips u shared here.. happy weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing post..Well done! I really love your blog. Keep going.
    Many kisses
    Lady Fur

    Please check my last post blog www.welovefur.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good advice!
    I de-clutter my stash about once a year. What I do is that I'd organize them into piles, like you said. Then, I'd put the most-frequently-used items on my dresser, while the rest go into the shelves. The ones that I haven't used at all in that year would be given away.
    ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Needed This!!! Time to start on my collection
    - Wandeleur

    ReplyDelete
  19. My collection started to grow and my makeup was all over the place! I have a seven drawer storage unit for everything now and I can find everything! Great post Keisha!!

    www.naturalledrea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© The Chrysalis Gal | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig